HRI was founded by Dr. Iris R. Weiss in 1987, who served as President until her retirement in 2012. HRI has provided services for a variety of clients in both the public and private sector, including the National Science Foundation, the U.S. Department of Education, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, numerous colleges and universities, and professional organizations such as the National Science Teachers Association and the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
Several of HRI’s projects have involved collaboration with universities and other research institutions such as:
- Abt Associates, Inc.
- Education Development Center
- Eisenhower National Clearinghouse
- National Center for Improving Science Education
- North Carolina State University
- Research Triangle Institute
- The Ohio State University
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Pennsylvania
- Westat, Inc.
- Wisconsin Center for Education Research
HRI has also worked with professional organizations such as:
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Geological Institute
- Association of State Supervisors of Mathematics
- Council of Chief State School Officers
- Council of State Science Supervisors
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Science Teachers Association